Indian Police Service (IPS) is one of the All India Service in India. Members of IPS are posted in states and also in central police organizations. IPS is a Civil Service examination which is conducted by the UPSC every year.
KEY Highlights of Indian Police Service
- Exam Name: Civil Service Examination
- Exam Level: National Level
- Organizing Body: UPSC
- Exam Type: Offline
- No. Of Service: 24
Eligibility Criteria Of Indian Police Service
|Physical Criteria||Candidate Male||Candidate Female|
|Minimum Height||165 cm||150 cm|
|Minimum Chest Girth||84 cm||79 cm|
Note: Relaxable minimum height is 160cm (men) and 145cm (women) for candidates who are from ST and races such as Gorkhas, Garhwalias, Assamese, Kumaonis, Nagaland Tribals, etc.
- The candidate must be a citizen of India.
- Candidates have a citizen of Nepal or a subject of Bhutan.
A Candidate must have qualified for a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent of the recognized university by UGC.
Candidates should have a minimum age of 21 years and maximum age 32 years at the time of examination.
- For SC/ST candidates up to max. 5 years relaxation for examination.
- For candidates from the state Jammu & Kashmir up to max. 5 years relaxation for examination.
- For Defense Service Personnel candidates up to max. 5 years relaxation for examination.
- For OBC candidates 3 years up to max. relaxation for examination.
- For Blind, deaf-mute and Orthopaedically handicapped persons up to 10 years max.
No. Of Attempts
- For General Candidates: 6 attempts Up to 32 Years
- For SC/ST Candidates: There are no Limits Up to 37 Years
- For OBC: 9 attempts Up to 35 Years
- Physically handicapped- 9 attempts for general and OBC, while unlimited for SC/ST.